This blog highlights the talents of this years symposium presenters. For more information about attending this years symposium, please see http://www.yumaartsymposium.memberlodge.org/

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Laritza Garcia


Hello Yumans!
My second Yuma experience is on the horizon and I am ever so thankful for the community that the symposium provides for emerging and seasoned artist alike. The body of work I will be present is shaped by my understanding of art as a coping mechanism and my long-term affiliation with Youth Art-Reach programs.
Powder Coated jewelry components, bench shot 2014  
Working with youth significantly impacts my visual narrative.  I adapt certain traits and tactics of playful behavior into my design aesthetic such as exploratory construction and intuitive drawing skills that bring elements of delight to the “serious” adult landscape.
Left: Exploration drawing. Ink, spray paint, pastel
Right: Double Drop brooch. Copper, Steel, Sterling Sliver, Powder Coat

For my demo, I will guide symposium participants through an exquisite corpse exercise to collectively assemble wearable objects from mixed media materials using low-tech methods. This method fosters collaboration, spontaneity and thinking with your hands. Can’t wait!
Exquisite Corpse, ECU graduate seminar 
My first teaching position was for the City of Austin’s Totally Cool, Totally Arts program which helps teens to connect to school, cope with difficult situations, and manage stress. This gig opened my eyes to the joys of teaching and to the notion that play is one of the key factors leading to happiness in adulthood. Through my professional experiences, I’ve learned that play helps builds understanding, encourages communication and teaches us how to be good citizens: share, take turns and listen to one another.     


Totally Cool, Totally Art student work. 
I strive to create pieces of adornment that remind us of the lasting impression of childlike behavior and restorative properties of creative thinking.
Brooch Trio & Tangerine necklace: Copper, brass, steel, Sterling Silver, Powder Coat
I currently live In Austin and teach Surface Design, Metals and 3D foundations at Texas State University. Over the past year I’ve also relished the opportunity to collaborate on community enhancement projects with   Culture and Arts Education division. Color Abound!
Dougherty Arts Center Enhancement program: mixed media mandala. 
I look forward to meeting up with new and old friends, please say HELLO.
Until then, HAPPY MAKING!
////////
 More info: LaritzaGarcia.com


1 comment:

  1. Using BullionVault you can purchase physical bullion bars at current market exchange rates.

    Create your free account today and get 4 g's in free silver as a welcome bonus.

    ReplyDelete