This blog highlights the talents of this years symposium presenters. For more information about attending this years symposium, please see http://www.yumaartsymposium.memberlodge.org/

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Jason DeMarte

Hello Yuma!
First of all I am very excited to be attending and presenting at Yuma! After hearing rave reviews from friends and artists I am very eager to take part and see and hear all the wonderful things the symposium has to offer. 
It’s been a busy year, my summer started off with a bang by going straight into a residency at the Vermont Studio Center after my classes wrapped. This was a wonderful experience and led to the start of a whole new body of work, which I will be including in my presentation.


Goldfinch - Pink Cord
40x60, Archival Ink Jet Print
I will also be speaking about the work I have been involved in making over the past several years. With all my work I am interested in a dialog between the seemingly natural world and the simulated or manufactured. I am interested in comparing established idealist utopian ways of representing the landscape to the hyper-perfect way products and modern consumer life are represented in media. I’m particularly interested in the idea of disillusionment through false or misleading representation.

Hydroginated Bounty
43x33, Archival Ink Jet Print

Cheeted
43x24, Archival Ink Jet Print
I work digitally combining images of fabricated and artificial and staged flora and fauna with commercially produced and processed products. I look at how these seemingly unrelated and absurd groupings or composites begin to address attitudes and understandings of the contemporary experience. I represent the natural world through completely unnatural elements to speak metaphorically and symbolically of our mental separation from what is “real” and compare and contrast this with the consumer world we surround ourselves with as a consequence. Ultimately this work is an investigation into the manipulation of truth.  

Forage
23x31, Archival Ink Jet Print

Pink Placebo
23x34, Archival Ink Jet Print

Bologna
23x34, Archival Ink Jet Print


No comments:

Post a Comment