This blog highlights the talents of this years symposium presenters. For more information about attending this years symposium, please see http://www.yumaartsymposium.memberlodge.org/

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Andy Glantz & Zenith Design


Although I have heard about the Symposium for years, and always intended to attend, this will be my first time, and I am really excited about it. I always enjoy being with a group of people who make things. The opportunities for sharing materials and methods and for cross-pollination are fantastic, and I always come away energized and full of design ideas for new pieces.
I just like to make things. I work with lots of different materials in addition to wood and often combine materials in the pieces I create. Here’s a piece with an outside frame of wood (wenge) and drawer fronts made from Avonite, which is an acrylic material usually used for counter tops.
Wenge Sticks
I enjoy working in metal, and have made jewelry in the past. I got on a bit of a jag with replacing all the lights in our home with ones I have made. Here’s a sconce for the bathroom vanity.

I made some of the lights for outside the house. These are copper and leaded glass.

After promising my very patient wife a new dining table for 25 years, I finally delivered one, shown here with pendant lights above and shoji screens in the background.
 It’s actually five tables, the small ones doing double duty as buffet tables when not need for a big crowd.
I also make all the pulls for my pieces, often in aluminum or brass. Here are the pulls for a small piece before installation.
And here they are installed.

       Torii Gate Reliquary


Here’s a piece with glass doors and brass pulls.
     Convex/Concave
The upper part of this piece is concave and the glass doors are curved inward. The lower part is convex, with doors curving outward.
So my plan is to talk about the kinds of pieces I make and how I make them, and my wish to get away from the square edges and flat planes of lumber and back to the more organic forms of nature. In the end, though, it’s about making stuff – and enjoying the process of creativity, problem solving and tinkering in my studio.
Andy Glantz  ----Zenith Design


No comments:

Post a Comment